The Courant's Film Critic's Secret Life as a Singer/Songwriter!

Now here's some news you don't hear everyday.

Deborah Hornblow, an arts writer probably best known around these parts for her column as the Hartford Courant's film critic, has been working for seven years on a collection of songs. She's finally released them as the CD "The Permanent Thing."

When I asked Deb about the CD and her current leave-of-absence from the Courant, she wrote:

"I'm not pursuing music full-time as much as I'm pursuing writing all the time. The record you have is the result of an attempt I made several years ago to write a novel. I was scribbling and scribbling (and writing page after page of garbage). I'd get frustrated and bang around on the guitar. The"novel" gradually morphed into a cycle of songs."

"The Permanent Thing" is often narrative, literary, and also happens to be really, really good.

Take a look at Deb's website and listen to some samples: http://www.deborahhornblow.com/

No comments: