What I Wrote/What They Quote

A story:

About a year ago now, I received a review copy of Livintrust's CD "BlindDrive" in the mail. I put it on and gave it a few spins... And I was like, "eesh -- I am *really* not feelin' this." I put it aside, and when I had a chance, I went to see them live. (That's the true test -- after all, look at what happened with Porto. I wasn't very keen on their first LP, Nemesis -- but then I checked them out live, and holy shit! They're awesome!) I saw LivinTrust play at Zen Bar in Farmington, and before their set, their drummer Matt Chirsky sidled up to me, acted chummy, bought me and my girlfriend drinks... Then they went on stage, and they sounded exactly like their album. Which is to say that they came off as talented musicians who crank out cookie-cutter nu-metal songs.

In the following days, the LT boys were politely persistent about asking what I thought. I told them the truth: that I saw a lot of problems with their tunes, that if I wrote a review it would be pretty critical and negative, and that I didn't want to go to press with a review like that when they had been good to me at the show. A while down the road, Chirsky got back to me and said that the band had talked about it, and decided that they wanted me to go ahead and publish the review anyway.

Ok, I thought. If you say so.



Fast-forward to today. I just saw this and I thought it was awesome. Guess it just goes to show: your words can be used against you in a court of law, but they can be flipped around sideways and backwards by musicians!

WHAT I WROTE
(from "Kiss It Goodbye," Hartford Advocate, January 5, 2006 - http://hartfordadvocate.com/gbase/Music/content.html?oid=oid:138763)

Livintrust
Blind Drive
(One Six One)

Considering the massive success that local boys Staind have enjoyed in recent years, it's not surprising that Connecticut musicians are still eager to jump on the "I'm so angry and misunderstood" bandwagon. Problem is, Staind peaked a while ago. Now they, like their nu-metal sires Korn and Limp Bizkit, are cranking out drivel that even the most terminally abused teenagers can see through. While the rise and fall of these bands is enough to make a solid case for the death of nu-metal, the real clincher is the onslaught of pre-fab "heavy alternative" bands on the local level, each trying to get a peck at the corpse. Such is the case with Livintrust. They've modeled their album Blind Drive almost note-for-note on Sevendust's recent material. (Gosh, don't those names sound so similar?) Meanwhile, Livintrust are enjoying all the commercial plaudits you might imagine a flawless rip-off would get: corporate sponsorships, song rotation on WCCC, and a recent opening slot for Audioslave. The real talent in the Livintrust camp is their marketing execs.

WHAT THEY QUOTE

(from the Livintrust MySpace, www.myspace.com/livintrust05)

Hartford Advocate, Dan Barry
"...like Korn and Limp Biskit...Livintrust are enjoying all the commercial plaudits you might imagine... corporate sponsorships, song rotation on WCCC, and a recent opening slot for Audioslave...real talent..."


This blog post brought to you by the ellipsis (...), Bud Light True Music, and unresolved teenage angst.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan, it'd be a bit naive of me or anyone else to be shocked or surprised at how your words got twisted. I, for one, am glad to see that your true opinion made it out there, despite your honorable attempt to be cool about it with them.

I'm of like mind when it comes to the likes of Livintrust. Regurgitation is for the birds.

Brett of 'i'

Dan said...

Grazie. I was very aware at the time that they were trying to schmooze me. (I get that a lot less than you would think I might. Partly because I prefer to introduce myself -- if I'm going to introduce myself at all -- after the set. No need to make people nervous thinking that I'm judging their every move before they even take the stage.) But at the same time, I wanted to make it clear to them that I didn't feel like I owed anything to them because of said schmoozing. Free drinks is a nice gesture, but I'll only take it at face value -- none of this "I scratch your back..." bullshit.

They got the review they asked for -- no, they got the review they earned. Obviously I am not going to bring their career to a screeching halt. There are larger forces at work behind them -- such as, for example, Budweiser True Music and WCCC. That's the path they've chosen, that's their idea of success, and they're achieving it. Good for them, I guess. I hope they can pay their bills and put food on their plates and laugh at how they fucked the system -- but at the end of the day, it still makes for shit music.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe I missed this post. Jesus.

Anonymous said...

As for someone who has known this band since it was formed, I think I have to tell you all that if you haven't seen this band live, then you cannot even come close to judging them. First of all Art Loomer is a brilliant writer who has been honing his craft for years and has true talent. Keith Caro has been rocking guitar for years with tunings that I can't even figure out which sound incredible. Stay in the 90's, their music is the cutting edge of rock. This band is heading in the right direction and will be up near the top soon guranteed!

Anonymous said...

I have had a few dealings with Livin Trust. I have mixed feelings about their music. I dont like the current trend on WCCC. The Modern rock thing. It sounds like everyone wanting to make rehashed 90's grunge, and put in a little hardcore for good measure. AFter going to HArtt everything sounds like pop to me now anyways, but i DO think Livintrust is a better band than most of the stuff on WCCC. And i really dont feel apt to judge the music on WCCC because i feel like I have lost touch with that kind of sound through my own musical explorations. However when I put the Blinddrive cd in and listen to it, I do notice a lot of very cool compositional things happening, arrangements and things. The drums are super tight. Patzig is an excellent engineer. Matt is a great drummer. Art and Keith are also excellent at their instruments/vocals. And after playing with them live twice and recording them in the studio for an acoustic set, I can say that they have their shiza together bandwise. Lyrically it is solid as well, which when compared to most of the new stuff on WCCC is way better. They are supposed to open for Shinedown on a tour or something, and I think Shinedown has some of the worst lyrics I have heard in a long time. A lot of people are jealous because of the success that Livintrust has garnered. It is not JUST because they sound similar to many of the bands on WCCC, it is because they are a good band too. I got a lot of shit at Hartt for being more 'pop' than most people there, not being artsy enough or whatever. It is tough out there musically.

Scott from 'i' wink wink.. Brett

Anonymous said...

I agree that Livintrust does sound a lot like Sevendust but i see nothing wrong with that. For a first album i was really impressed. There were a few songs that i didnt like but for the most part i love them. I really liked Waited, Weapon, We are in, Last fight, and She wont belong. In my opinion there music is right up there with Sevendust and other popular modern rock bands. I don't see any reason for them to be stuck on WCCC. They should be on every rock radio station in the U.S. Dan i have a question. What do you expect new bands to sound like? I agree that a lot of new bands aren't all that great and sound a lot like other mainstream bands. This isn't a screamo hardcore heavy metal band like a lot of newer ones. They also aren't one of those pop or punk bands that call their music rock. This band definitely has major influences but they sound good. Of everything i listen to, Livintrust is one of my favorites. Can't wait for a new album.

Anonymous said...

Dan:

You are an A-hole and do not know what you are talking about. Livin Trust's music is outstanding. Although I think Keith is great, I'm not impressed with the rest of the band since Art and Holden have left. Keith, Art and Holden were the stand-outs in the band. Especially Art...he is, and always will be, the soul of their music. If Keith decides to leave, I don't think the band can call themselves Livin Trust any more. Maybe they can call themsevles Derik and the Funbags II.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to see what happens when someone gives an honest opinion? haha Good Lord man.. I just found/read this and had to comment. I've had plenty of experience seeing/hearing LivinTrust. I think they're an extremely tight band. Tighter than most. Do they deserve to be on the radio? Well, considering how hard they work at it and how much they practice and gig... sure, why not? But so do a lot of other bands you and I will never hear about. Is LT reinventing the wheel? Hell no. And as far as choreographed moves during live shows go... I think that's best left to boy bands (which don't seem to exist anymore... hmm). Although I will say that as far as "the rest of the band" goes... the drummer is one of the most talented musicians on the local scene, as is the bassist. Keith isn't doing anything spectacular up there and neither was Art. Again, no reinvention of the wheel. Of course, they don't seem to be laying claim to any kind of reinvention either. Honesty is always the best policy. And such a lonely word....

Anonymous said...

okay i've seen them many times. started before when art and keith were side effect. no doubt art is gifted and a great front man for the band. you will not get the full appreciation of them unless you see them live. they are really good to watch live.