EDITED: At least bad news occasionally has a good bearer.

UPDATE 2/2/06: Brass City is happily NOT closed! Apologies for any confusion. Walt just wrote me to say:

over the holidays we did 3-4 shows...just got in a massive collection of 70's-mid 80's punk vinyl and everything seems to be going well... we did a really great Bludrum show for new years....had one of my xylophones set up. sounded like Capt.. beefheart.

Well, rock on!

Krizta Moon wrote this to me at the beginning of December:

Unfortunately, Brass city went under and closed about a week ago. I can't believe it! I've been going there since I was 14.

Brass City has long been one of the most unique record stores/performance spaces that CT had to offer. It's a huge loss -- especially to the avant-garde music fans who would shop there, not to mention the DIY-kids whose first shows at Brass City taught them how to organize a musical event, use a PA, and not trip over their own wires.

I know Walt, the owner, was having trouble with zoning (he told me the city wanted to demolish his building to put in a new "Transportation Center" that, in our minds at least, seemed better off closer to the current train station). Has anyone spoken to him since/about the closing?

No comments: