And while I'm in a complainy mood,

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me what the deal is with whores in metalcore lyrics? Specifically, why they're in every other verse?

I mean, is it supposed to be some kind of sociopolitical commentary on selling out and whoring yourself for fashion? (Because this got big WAY before MySpace. I mean, even Dillinger Escape Plan was screaming about whores on Calculating Infinity back in '99. And that was before the guys-wearing-girlpants explosion and LONG before those fucking studded punk belts were suddenly around every sorority girl's waist.)

I mean, do these men actually USE whores? Do they KNOW whores (biblically and/or non-biblically)?

Is it some kind of metaphor for postmodern malaise? Because I'll tell ya, bub -- the whores have been around for a lot longer than postmodernism.

Actually, can somebody just explain to me why 98% of metalcore lyrics fucking suck?

It's enough to drive me to listen to Elvis Costello or The Pixies or Tom Waits or some shit.

No comments: