Things that make me go apeshit crazy #2501: Racist Double-standards

So, I'm listening to Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele, because

  • it's off the hook, and
  • I want to refresh myself on what I like about him in preparation for delving into his newest LP, the critically-acclaimed Fishscale.

And Ghost hits this line in "Mighty Healthy":

"Livin' off land you god damn right I fuck fans king me
Check checkmate props like the micro chip founder
Neck to neck stocks with Bill Gates now."

(The bolding is mine.)

It got me thinking about how the media faults rappers for their promiscuity. Promiscuity is second only to rap violence on the list of "things rappers do that are bad examples for the youth." Question: why is this being painted as a black-only problem? Why don't we fault [white] rock stars for their promiscuity as well? More critically, why is promiscuity so characteristic of musical success in the first place?

It seems rather Puritanical for media pundits to fault ANY musician for their philandering when that same media sensationalizes groupie sex as one of the signs of artistic achievement. It seems equally foolish for musicians to buy into such a worthless standard -- but then, I suppose if you asked most of the "successful" male musicians today why they went into the biz, picking up chicks would rank pretty high on the list of responses.

I fuckin' hate double-standards. Can I get a witness?

2 comments:

Rob said...

What's your name, little girl?

Anonymous said...

I think we fault white artists on this as well. I remember a Behind the Music (or one of those bio shows) on New Kids On The Block talking about how they'd be with fans AND their mothers and how awful that was. It doesn't get much whiter than them.

I think what people get down on rap artists the most are the videos that portray little else than violence, drugs and sex. There's rarely a rap video that doesn't focus the majority of the shots on these three. There aren't many other genres that do this.